No Obama-like leader in Indian politics: Aamir Khan

DELHI: A leader like Barack Obama is yet to appear on the horizon of Indian politics, actor Aamir Khan has said while praising young Congressleader Rahul Gandhi for his “sincerity” and “uprightness”.
Asked whether he can see any Obama-like politician in India, Aamir said: “Not as of now. I don’t see anyone right now. I mean based on what I have seen in our national politics.
“I think Rahul (Gandhi) seems to be a very upright person, very sincere, but I am yet to hear him speak on issues,” he said.
The actor-director, whose latest film “Ghajini” turned out to be a hit, also said he did not want to be part of award ceremonies where “underhand things” take place.
“I attend ceremonies that I have value for. It is nothing to do with the borders. I don’t want to be part of award ceremonies where lots of underhand things happen,” Aamir, who has been for years giving Indian awards ceremonies a miss, told a news channel in an interview.
Commenting on the change that the Mumbai terror attacks have brought to the psyche of Indians, he said the incident served the purpose of bringing the country.
He said the incident has broken the perception that terrorism has a religious colour, propelling people to seek answers from politicians and reject the “politics of divide.
“I think it has done something which has a positive outcome. It has brought us together I feel. For many years, terrorism was looked upon with religious colour. I think now people have come to understand that the terrorism in fact has no religion,” he said.
“People no longer want their leaders to play this politics of divide. They (Indian citizens) want progressive- thinking leaders, they want their leaders to be accountable,” Aamir said.
Hoping that Danny Boyle’s “Slumdog Millionaire” does well at the Oscars, Aamir said he did not agree with critics who say the film is too negative a depiction of India.
“I don’t think ‘Slumdog’ is making an attempt to show the underbelly of India or that may be its selling point. I think the filmmakers are creative people and they are storytellers and they are telling us a story,” he said.
The actor, whose “Taare Zameen Par” failed to make it to the Oscar nominations, said he was “not surprised” by his directorial debut being left out of the race for Academy awards.
Aamir said he makes films for the audience and not for awards…”Academy awards or any awards”.
He, however, said the film had been loved by audiences all across the globe and Mark Johnson, who is the Chairman of the Foreign Language Committee of Academy Awards called him to say that he loved the film.
Commenting on his journey from “Taare Zameen Par” to “Ghajini”, Aamir, who also introduced his nephew Imran Khan in “Jaane Tu Ya Jane Na” last year, said: “It has been a good year for me and I am really happy with the success I got not only as an actor or as a director with my first film but also as a producer of the film ‘Jaane Tu…’ I am really happy with the success of ‘Ghajini’ that is unprecedented.”

0 comments: